View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Irving3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: collapsed fuel tank

The tank is aluminum so I don't know if it could be pressurized and reformed or not. The dealer thinks the original purge valve caused the problem not the new one they installed. Chrysler has agreed to absorb 80% of the cost of the new tank which makes it about the same price to me as the tank for an SLK 320. What I'd like to know is if the tank for the SLK and the Crossfire are identical. I want to ask them why they want five times the price for the same part and then maybe get some additional help on the part and/or labor. The car is out of warranty and they are making the allowance on good will. However if the "right" price for the tank is $750 they are really not helping me much. I called several dealers including one out of state and they all give the same $3545 price on the tank for the Crossfire.

Update 9-19-09
After a month I have the car back. After the dealer replaced the fuel tank the car ran rough. The dealer tried to find the problem and replaced sensors they thought might be faulty. No luck. They called the Star hot line and they were not much help. Chrysler was going to send their Crossfire expert but he called first and offered suggestions which did not solve the problem. The dealer continued to work on the car and traced the problem to a 5 volt circuit in the car that evidently powers a number of sensors. They replaced several items in this circuit and the problem persisted. Finally two techs put another Crossfire beside mine and worked together comparing one car to the other and continued to look for the problem in the 5 volt circuit. They found a wire in my car that was evidently cut when the original fuel tank collapsed. They fixed the wire and cured the rough running problem. They still believe the original tank was collapsed by a faulty purge valve. I have had the car back for two days and so far all is well.

Last edited by Irving3; 09-19-2009 at 10:21 PM.