View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Bob G
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Winter Driving/Clutch Issue: 6-speed

Originally Posted by DavesX-fire
My sister has a Base coupe, which has the 6-speed, the same as the one I had before the accident. When she went back to school last week, the car sat in her dorm parking lot a little over 7 days, without being driven. The weather has been extremely cold the last week here in detroit, so the car was subjected to constant below freezeing wind chill temperatures. Finally on sunday she was leaving her school and made it just outside of the parking lots, and the clutch blew out on her car. The car couldn't be moved under its own power, and had to be towed. The car has less than 2,000 miles on it, and it my sister has only driven manual cars, and is well trained in the art of driving with three pedals. Has anyone had any problems with the cars being subjected to prolonged freezing temperatures? I realize these cars are not really designed for cold weather driving, but have to assume it was some kind of mechanical failure because of the weather. Any other similar experiences?

DavesX-fire
Dave:
As you can see I live in central Canada and it is bloody cold, ie: -33 and -47 during the day with wind chill. I drive my car every day except when the two storms dumped 2 ft. of snow. At night it sits in the unheated garage with outside temps close to -40. The last few weeks, daytime highs in the -25 range. When I 1st start in the AM the clutch is very very stiff and takes about 15 minutes of driving to loosen up, however, it works without a hitch. Sure, I double clutch for the 1st 10 minutes but I have over 11,000 klms and no clutch issues. So, there you are, I've been in a deep freeze for 2 months. Sounds to me you have a mechanical failure and if the dealer blames it on cold weather, tell them to talk to me!

Last edited by Bob G; 01-20-2005 at 01:18 AM.