View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 AM
patpur
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bug removal = wax removal?

Sorry I can't comment on the wax coming off with the various bug and tar removers. Mike from Orange is the expert on the chemicals. I will tell you how I do it. I have a ton of wax on my car, it gets waxed once a month even in the winter, sometimes more. I also use a detail spray weekly after the car is washed. There are very few weeks it doesn't get washed. So my car has a pretty good wax base on it to start with. On those occasions I do have to go out to the local soft ice cream place which is a ride through farm country, I do get some bugs. When I get home, basically asap...... I get a damp to wet cotton towel and I lay it over the bug guts (this also works with bird droppings) and I let it sit for about 10 minutes. It loosens things up to the point they come right off. I also have a wash mit that I got at Advance Auto. One side is like a thick cotton fleece, the other side has a nylon type mesh that works on tar and bugs and doesn't scratch the finish. I think the thing that's important about removing bugs is you soften the remains up before you try to remove it otherwise you risk scratches. Like I said earlier try and get them off as soon as possible. I have never had to use Bug & Tar remover on my car.