View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 04:40 PM
CyberGreg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Interior Ergonomics

Originally Posted by bradlock
Regarding my 2004 Crossfire: This is a great car with absolutely fabulous “curb appeal.” It always draws a crowd. It is also fun to drive, with plenty of power and great roadability. It does, however, possess the following ergonomic limitations:

1. The silver paint on the interior console produces significant glare for the driver when the sun hits if from the right side. This could be a major [/color]safety item.[/font][/size]

2. Additionally, the silver center pivots on both the speedometer and tachometer were inititally distracting during daytime driving. I found myself continually looking down at them (they drew my attention) while driving during the day. They become black at night and are unnoticeable. Again, a potential [/color]safetyitem.[/font][/size]

3. The storage compartment in the center console is almost impossible to access. One must reach around behind and feel to open it, then find items by feel inside. A possible [/color]safetyissue if the driver is distracted.

4. Additionally, the cup holder would frequently pop up when either the driver or passenger rested their arm there. A similar problem exists with the window controls.

5. The cruise control lever is difficult to reach, a little confusing, and just plain cheap. It does not belong in the Crossfire. My 300M and PT Cruiser have much more user-friendly and easy-to-use cruise control levers. This lever should be reachable without having to raise your arm and hand. Most drivers control the speed of their cars with these levers when freeway driving. The levers should be within finger reach (on the steering wheel of the 300M) without moving your arms or hands. This can only be done by holding the steering wheel high up with your left hand. This precludes resting you arm on the armrest. Another
safety issue[/font][/size]

6. Whereas the Maintenance Manual calls for oil changes every 4,000 miles, the Owner’s Manual says 7,000 miles! This should be resolved. Additionally, there is no special warning of the fact that this car uses synthetic oil. Many drivers still check and change their own oil, and this should be prominently noted – by the dealer, in the Owner’s Manual, and in the Maintenance Manual. It is just casually mentioned in the Owner’s Manual.[/font][/color][/size]

7. The turn signal lever is totally invisible to the driver. One must feel around to find it. This also includes the windshield wiper button on the end of the turn signal lever. It takes awhile to get used to this.[/font][/color][/size]

8. A car of this price and prestige, should also have multiple delays for the windshield wipers. My 300M has this feature which I frequently use.[/font][/color][/size]

9. Tires are a whole issue in themselves. Most Crossfires are equipped with the sport performance tires. However, all-season tires are recommended for snow and ice. Then, winter mud and snow (M & S) tires are required if chains are used. Most folks here in the Pacific Northwest frequently drive in snow and ice. Chains are frequently required when going over mountain passes. Your primary tire selection should allow for all conditions. Special, performance tires should be an option, not standard, even though this is a sports car. And dealers should have available the all-season tires.[/font][/color][/size]

10. I haven’t yet started to look for chains and may not given all the above limitations. However, are “RUD-matic DISC” chains available in most stores? My guess is that most stores won’t know what I’m talking about.[/font][/color][/size]

11. The garage and gate opening buttons above the courtesy lights must be found by feel. They are not protruding, but rather flush with the upper panel. Difficult to find/use. I solved this problem by punching out small dots from white electrician tape and attaching them to the buttons. This allows them to become quite visible and easy to find. [/font][/color][/size]

Love the car, but feel the ergonomics guys were asleep at the wheel.
Looks like Brad gave up and hasn't since replied. I'm gonna give him some support....

1. Silver trim - Absolutely agree I've had glare from the dash trim several times, even with my sunglasses on. It "could" be interpreted as a saftey issue.

2. Dash needles - nope can't say I've experienced this problem.

3. Center console - Absolutely agree except you shouldn't be accessing the "storage" compartment while driving. Minimal safety hazard, agree akward to access.

4. Cup holder - SUCKS how many threads have we seen on this? Heck there's even been discussion about aftermarket cup holders, clearly not because the OEM one works so well!

5. Crusie Control lever - Agree however just takes a week of driving and you get "used" to where the controls are. That however doesn't make the design better, just that you get used to them.

6. Oil change - if what Brad says is true (I have not checked) then an update to the maintenance manual should be sent out to owners. Agree I believe I have seen a sticker in my engine compartment about using synthetic oil. I'll have to check.

7. Turn signal lever - Agree, but as previously mentioned just takes getting used to.

8. Variable wipers - Agree, the speed sensing crap just stops them while you wait at a red light, nice but I'd much rather adjust the intermittent speed.

9. Tires - Agree and so should everyone that has posted about winter driving problems... come on, you know who you are!

10. Tire chains - I shudder when I think about seeing a Crossfire with tire chains!

11. Garage buttons - Disagree I have not had any problems like Brad and hasn't this feature gone away with the 2005's? I love mine I've got the gate and garage door programmed so no unsightly remote hanging off my visor!

Poor guy, just wanted to voice his opinion and now he's gone forever!

Last edited by CyberGreg; 01-31-2005 at 04:46 PM.