Old 10-22-2009, 12:44 AM
tighed1
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Do it yourself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
ok ill be sending mine !!
Don't send it. DIY! Here's what "I" did.

Had the pulley off and decided to try and smooth it out. Might want to have a spare on hand in case this doesn't work for ya. Started by breaking the ribs off piece by piece with my Leatherman. Only took a minute to figure out this wasn't gonna work. Time for the grinding wheel to get the bulk of the material off! Wear hand and eye protection! Grind till the ribs are just about gone.

Ok here's where I expect to catch some flack from you folks. Mount the pulley back on the car and hook everything back up.

Did he say put it back on the car?
Yep.

Get a shop vac and a file or a chisel or screwdriver with a sharpened end. Figure out a way to position the shop vac wand so it will catch the crap yer fixin' to shave off of the pulley (a friend or a trusted kid will work). Everybody have their hand and eye protection on?

Start the lathe, I mean car and shop vac.

Be careful! There are pulleys and a belt moving in there and they want a piece of you!

Working from the passenger side rub yer tool (keep it clean) against the now spinning rib-less pulley. Won't take long before you get the hang of it. Kind of fun actually! Cut till you feel it's smooth enough without taking too much material off. Be sure to make the smooth area wide enough for the belt to settle in.
In your case Krazy, enjoy yer extra clearance. For the rest of us just feel better that you aren't running your belt against the ribs anymore.