Old 12-15-2009, 06:56 PM
waldig
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Angry what I have found on the RCM solder issue

Well I started to do an eval on the RCM that I have on my car.

THe fact that we can not copy links and photos is a real BAD thing.

Feels like my forum is dying and that aint good.

I did a lot of research and had some good sites to link in.

The stress on the terminals _ see the photos- oh sorry - is due to it is soldered on the bottom of the board ONLY. The solder does not flow up well.

As you can see in the photos -----oh sorry--- the top terminals are not soldered by the copper ribbons and only connected on the bottom. In my attached NON PHOTOS you can see or not that I have soldered the pins that are near the vertical board.

With the pins soldered on the bottom there is less support of the pins and thermal expansion stresses give rise to cracking of the joint. I used a thermally controlled iron set to about 400 degrees C. You can use a 100 watt gun or iron if you dont hit the relays and cause any damage.

The pins on the edge of the board are just a bit to see and solder but I did it with tired eyes and 3 cats so you can also. Solder joints on both sides of the board sort of brace themselves and move less. Tin is soft stuff.

I was going to show the solder joints and how they are shiney without buffing or cleaning, showing that the temperature was enough to melt and not so much as to make too much dark-dim TIN dross.

Even my gallery has no photos on it so you can see that they are not there.................this is getting old like me..........

No photo woody