View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Franc Rauscher
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts
Default Re: Another WW II Relic or two

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Do not believe everything you see on TV, this is probably a tall tale edited and added to for marketing. Search the web for any credibility to this story and you find nothing concrete, just rumor and gossip.
Most of the German war machines that looked fanciful either failed to work properly or took too many resources for minimal actual effects. Mind you I saw a V1 and the engine quit above us, my mother was scared but it looked good to me. It worked just fine and flattened some buildings down the road . The V2 was a success too but it did less damage than a bomber, really a waste except for propaganda purposes.
The biggist reason the Allies won WWII is because the Americas, US and Canada out produced them.

We produced more planes, more ships, more tanks , more artillery, more landing craft, more food and supplies than the Axis powers.
Messeschmitt had better aircraft
Tiger tanks were superior
Mitsubishi Zeros carried more ordinace farther, and they were far more nimble in the air. It took two Corsairs to down them.
Their battleships dwarfed ours in size, range and firepower.

We like to think that the American fighter had more spirit, and more reason to win. The enemy in Europe and in the Pacific was as fierce and as determined. But the truth is the allied soldier had more logistical support which amplified his efforts and made the difference.

The allies captured much technology the public did not hear about for years. To wit, rocket powered interceptors and jet powered fighters were not allied inventions. The V2 was real and operational while the allies were still firing gunpowder ballistics. That the Germans would even try suborbital trans sonic flight is a testament to their technical skills and their determination to win.

The German Sub caught off the west coast with fissionable material on board was no tall tale and had nothing to do with marketing. It had to do with winning the war or at least coercing the allies to sue for peace.

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 02-14-2010 at 06:16 PM.