View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 AM
waylander
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another WW II Relic or two

There is another school of thought here that Germany simply started the war too early... by all accounts it was gearing up to be on a war footing for 1942(ish) so that was one problem

Another and maybe the biggest problem was that although Germany had an excellent grasp of tactical warfare it was a rank amature when it came to strategic warfare - think of the difference it would have made had Germany had Lancasters and Flying Fortresses as part of their arsenal. All of a sudden the Russian factories which had been moved to the other side of the Urals might have been at risk... British factories hard or impossible to hit with He111s or Do217s would be easily in range - I'd imagine even some of the eastern seaboard would be reachable (even if only on a one-way ticket.

Another Hitler stupidity (and Goering - of I've read my history correctly you could make a very good case for Goering to have cost Germany the war too!!) was the abandonment of the attacks on the radar installations and their attacks on our airfields - both of which were apparently scarily close to finishing us off (the bombing raid on Berlin therefore could have pretty much saved the world, even though it lead to the Blitz)

for those who aren't convinced about German aircraft design have a peak at the below 2 planes and think about them. Even in concept form they were streets ahead of the allies:

For those who either remember Korea or have seen footage from that conflict - does this look familiar?

and for more modern examples - how familair does this look?

The below site is fascinating (aand scary too!) - hope you enjoy

Luft '46 - WWII German aircraft projects