View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Mike-in-Orange
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Pink Calipers...

You don't really need a caliper specific paint, any automotive spray paint will do. I've painted plenty of calipers using stuff as basic as Krylon. In fact, the ONLY time I ever had an issue of any kind was when using the G2 Caliper Paint Kit - it seems more prone to chips than anything else I've ever used.

A couple of tips though: make sure to clean the calipers very thoroughly with brake cleaner and an old towel first. If you're going to paint the calipers while on the car, spray the paint into a paper cup and then brush it on with a small foam paint brush. Two or three light coats are better than a single heavy coat. Let the paint dry overnight before driving the car.

In my experience even basic paint has held up for several years even when the car is used for track days, canyon runs and other situations where the brakes are used heavily.

And hey, if you want pink calipers on a white car, go for it. If my wife wanted to do this I'd be fine with it.... in fact, if she were really smart she would have had me do this to her current car - there's no way I'd ever drive it with pink calipers!!!