View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 PM
downwardspiral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 73 mach 1 buildup

Originally Posted by bmorgan
That brought back memories of a 1972 mustang that I once had in my teens. It had a 351 with ram air. That is one car that I regret ever having sold.
Hey, it's never too late to buy another .. the prices are still relatively low, although they went up since I bought the car .

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I had a '73 Mustang Grande (302) new, nice car that was sadly lacking in air to its lungs because of all the pollution equipment.
Nice car though, the weaknesses were the timing chain and the gas tank was prone to rust on the top face. Fixing that rust, the bracket that the forward lip of the tank sat on disintegrated and I had to replace it with a steel angle. The tank was strapped up close to the trunk floor and silt from the roads built up on the top face and the dampness rusted the tank out. The silt also sat on the tank support.
Just check the support or the tank may drop off.
A lady T boned me and the car went to the wreckers after 12 years.
Lol, I know what you mean about lacking power.. I took the car off the road when I got the crossfire because it didn't do anything better than the crossfire, all it did was get attention and get 8 mpg.. not really what I was going for. The frame is in good shape, and I will be reinforcing it and POR-15ing everything that would be prone to rust. I recently bought a nice mig welder, so I'll be doing all the fabricating and body work over the next year or so. The car really isn't in bad shape, it just needs some love.

... as far as power goes
I am going to pretty much take a fuel injection setup from a newer mustang and adapt it to the good old Cleveland with a low boost single turbo. I am not going to use the aussie heads with the turbo, because I don't want to run race gas. I'm going to try to get the fuel injection set up this summer, play around with the tuning software then step up to the turbo when I can get the money together. On 8-10 psi I should be making upwards of 500 hp... I'm thinking about building it for higher boost, but only turning it up if I go to a track or something (which will probably last for a month PS: Roads are a part of civil engineering, right?

Last edited by downwardspiral; 03-15-2010 at 08:27 PM.