View Single Post
Old 12-28-2003, 07:57 AM
kusheen
Default clarification

Just to clarify and put things in perspective...

AZ Outlaws is one of the few experiencing the 1st gear problem. It IS a real problem in what appears to be a very small number of cars. It IS a big problem for those who are experiencing it, but AZ's statement that 'it pops out of 1st gear' is not precisely true. It has done that for what at this point seems to be a very small number of cars. The pattern also seems to be that for those cars that have the problem, it happens within the first few days/weeks; first few dozen/hundred miles. In other words, so far it seems like something that manifests itself very quickly if it's inclined to do it at all.

AZ also, unfortunately, seems to be getting the runaround from his dealer. On the thread he refers to, you'll also see that at least two of the posters having the same problem have had their transmissions replaced with little fuss, other than waiting for the box, by their helpful dealers, which apparently solved their problems.

I hope AZ can get his car straightened out. I feel very lucky to have a dealer who seems to really try to deliver good service. Apparently that is not the norm w/DC dealers.

Re smoothness. Well, to me it's like moving a hammer around in a bowl of rocks. 1st to 2nd seems especially notchy. The rest of the gears are a little stiff but not bad. No, it hasn't 'loosened up' in my 2400 miles.

I would say, though, that the 'hammer in rocks' feel probably accounts for at least a tenth of a second in 0-60 times for the 6 speed.

It reminds me very much of the notchy gear box in the 84 Esprit I had, but it's excuse was that the shifter had to work through a 6 foot rod to get back to the transaxle, thereby introducing some inevitable slop and notchiness. The Crossfire has no such excuse.