Old 03-27-2010, 10:56 AM
AllEuro
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of us who are slow: windshield surround removal

I recently acquired a second set of windshield surrounds for the car. I recently had these pieces painted black to match the rest of the car. In the next couple of weeks, I will be removing the original silver pieces and replacing them with the newly painted pieces.

So how does this work? I searched and found a couple of thread where the instructions mentioned that you simply need to "pry up" on the surrounds starting with the piece across the windshield. What is the exact process for this? Looking at the newly painted pieces, I see 2 plastic clips on each end and 5 metal clips placed between them. I don't have any special body/trim removal tools and read about using a butter knife, does anyone have any other tools they have used and would recommend? So do I stick the knife between the small gap between the surround and the roof or do I start at the lower part of the surround, towards the windshield? And it just pops off? Do I need to stick the knife anywhere along the surround and just pry in an upwards direction away from the car? I also read about the use of adhesive tape. None of the surround pieces I bought have any sort of tape on them (unlike the chrysler badges I bought), so why do a number of people recommend the use of double sided tape? Is there tape on the factory piece, that in addition to the clips, helps to hold the surround to the body? I assume the removal process for the side surround pieces is the same as how it is done for the surround that runs across the width of the car?

I also checked the 2004 ZH29 Crossfire manual that I downloaded and I couldn't even find any information on how to remove the windshield, let alone the surrounds.

All comments and suggests are encouraged! I don't want to start this and end up breaking something because I wasn't exactly sure how everything comes off.