Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 AM
onehundred80
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

I see that some people are replacing the CPS when they are having no problems with the one they have in the car at the moment. I think that this is a waste of time, if it ain't broke don't fix it is the old saying. If these were frequently failing it may be a good idea, but we only read these parts mentioned when they do fail. What is to say you are replacing a part that is going to fail soon with a part that will last longer, nothing. Parts like this have a potential to fail after x amount of use and or time, but a small number will fail much sooner, others will not fail during the lifetime of the car.
So why replace a functioning part with a part that may fail next week? Carry the part and tools to replace it in the car by all means but do not bother to change it now.
I had the CPS fail in a Concorde after 30,000 miles, its replacement went to the wreckers 100,000+ miles later. I put 140,000 miles on my LHS and never thought about the CPS.