Old 05-18-2010, 04:53 AM
satellite
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using E-85 as an octane booster...(mixing with E-85)

I have done quite a bit of searching on the forums and looks like most of the threads are on using E-85, period.

I started thinking about this while driving back from picking up my car in FL and all the 93 octane I was buying always said "may contain up to 10% ethanol"...this was all the way to MO and was posted clearly on the pumps.

Here in NE we only have 91 octane...BUT...E-85 is a little more common. The 91 octane we do have is NOT mixed with ethanol at most pumps (at least...they don't post that it is... ).

Basically, any reason I couldn't find the right formula to get about 93 octane mixing in few gallons of E-85 (105 octane) and STILL only have around 10% ethanol to not overstep the owner's manual recommendation?

The reason I would want to do this is my car has a custom 93 octane tune...meaning Jerry(LET) tuned it...on the dyno...for a couple hours...and I don't really want to erase that with just a generic 91 octane tune. This car made some amazing HP in FL.

The downside of this is that I tried this same idea a few years ago with my stock black SRT-6 (45k miles) and ruined the fuel filter and fuel pump almost immediately..... I think there are multiple reasons why this car would be different, but I still remember getting stuck in Iowa and then shelling out about $700 dollars when all was said and done.

So....verdict?

or

Maybe just stick with more conventional octane boosters when needed like Torco or Klotz?

Last edited by satellite; 05-18-2010 at 05:00 AM.