Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
mrphotoman
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: Continental Extreme Contact DWS... a winner in my book

Originally Posted by JHM2K
These are within .2" overall diameter of my OEM tires... OEM is 26" OD and these are 25.8"... So, I figured that was pretty doggone close.

The sidewall height looks visually identical to the front's sidewall height. So, aesthetically at least, it's spot-on.

I'm also running a one-dot pad in the rear with cut SRT springs... so it's already low and I had detected a hint of rubbing in the fenderwell with the OEM tires. That was also prior to the camber bar installation, however... the C-bars really seemed to help, and I still have yet to do the laser alignment. So, it will only get better.

And I agree with your observations. The reviews I have seen have been raving. Literally gets an 8.8 rating in light snow; higher than most devoted summer tires get for dry traction rating.

I was scared that I would lose a lot of feel and dry-pavement response with these tires... but I didn't. I'm thrilled.

Granted, these aren't going to give the grip of something like a dedicated "summer-only" tire. But, my car doesn't see "summer-only" duty... it has to tough it out when the roads are wet, dry, slushy, and everything in between. So, this was the most sensible route for me.

To wit, I have driven this car more times in the snow, than I have had the opportunity to do 10/10ths cornering. Sad, but true. And living in Tennessee, that's saying something.

Last February was downright SCARY in the Michelins. With body parts being so hard to come by, I figured this was a very reasonable and worthy compromise.

Chris L : Yes, these have a treadwear rating above 500. Guaranteed for 50,000 miles, and they're pro-rated if you happen to chew through them faster. They're also advertised to yield a few extra MPG, although that's a claim I'm not worried about observing in the slightest. Even if they DID, my foot is too heavy
oh i did not know you were lowered, that makes a lot of sense you could not go with a slightly taller profile.

yeah with the price and treadwear rating and reviews those seem to be a hard to beat tire deal. i read a lot on them, i am a tire nerd and like to read tire reviews lol.