Thread: Uh oh...
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:13 AM
shapeshifter309
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Uh oh...

Originally Posted by JimmyJames
I owned a tire store for ten years and my answer is NO!! Sidewalls are barely a 1/4 inch to begin with, but even if you are off on the depth---still NO. When you drive the side heated up and the weak point will give. You already know that we do not have a spare, and a blown sidewall will have you sitting and waiting for a tow truck which will cost MORE than a tire. That's assuming you can keep it on the road---not worth the safety of you and others. You can get a used one for $40-65 bucks on the car if you need something to get you by. Jimmy
I may have been off with my measurements, but I'll take your warning into consideration. I think what I'm gonna do is drive the car around my neighborhood for a little bit tomorrow morning and get the tire nice and hot, maybe put it under some stress, and see if it holds up. That way, if it doesn't, at least it didn't happen on the highway and I'm close to home. I'm hoping it was, for the most part, merely cosmetic, as the cut started where on some raised lettering.

Does anyone know where I could possibly take it to have someone look at it who could tell me if it's safe? I would take it to Sears auto center, but I have a feeling they probably only marginally know more than a house cat.

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 07-02-2010 at 01:23 AM.