Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM
JHM2K
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Maintenance before Dragon... fresh brakes before or after?

Originally Posted by Bigkid
Hi John, I think it depends on what you are looking for at the Dragon and other mountain roads. If it is a brisk tour thru then I would say wait on the brakes. However if you plan on testing the limits of your car and your driving skills then I would go with the the fresh pads and up grade the fluid to limit fade. John Book, Boilerxf, Franc and other n/a drivers do a great job keeping up with the higher hp cars in the twisties by holding speed deep in the straits then braking hard for an instant to scrub of just enough speed hit the apex and accel out hard. Hard on the brake system and it comes at you 318 times in a short period of time. Above all, know your limits, always stay in your lane, keep safe spacing with the cars you are running with and always watch for the bikers.

An interesting question, I hope you get a lot of opinions. Looking forward to meeting you at the Dragon
Thanks buddy.

And thanks to everyone else that has responded thus far.

Oi change is a go, based on everyone's advice.

My wallet says "wait" but the "safety-first" within me wants to heed the advice of Max (regarding brakes). I don't plan on running the dragon too extreme. Kim will be riding, and the crazier I drive, the greener her face gets. I want her to return to another GTG in the future, not scare her to the point of her insisting to get a Taxi ride back home.

Even if I 'gently' brake, 318 turns (each way) is a lot. And I can't guarantee that I won't run the dragon by myself while Kim gets some R&R with the other ladies at the lodge.

So, it looks like I'm going to do my best to play it safe. It'll make things tight for a week or so, but that's just how it works. Hopefully the fender strake project gets delayed again LOL