Thread: Gearbox Noise ?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 05:05 AM
ukroadster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gearbox Noise ?

Hi

My thoughts were/are that it is the input shaft bearing as I (we) call it. I assume this is the same as the idler shaft bearing.

Having done a search on the internet I found the same symptoms mentioned for various makes of car including the RX8, Mini, BMW M3 and a good thread about Holden Commodores with the 6 speed manual.

In the case of the Holden and the M3 it was determined that it was the input shaft bearing and that it was quite common. Some were louder than others and some people claimed that some noise was normal in the particular design whereas others said it wasn't?

On the Mini forum it appears they are having terrible trouble with rattling clutch/gearboxes and terminal failures. Apparently BMW switched supplier for the gearbox but are still having trouble. Funny what you find out when you do a bit of digging - I thought the mini was a reliable car!

I will do my best to find out what the problem was. My new car is due by the end of next week when I will then hand this one back.

For information the chassis number on my car is 46019 and although I only took delivery of it two weeks ago it was made in October 2004!!!
The replacement car will be 56028.

Thanks for the interest and help and I am looking forward to getting the car next week as I still really like the car despite the problems.

Contrary to some peoples feelings I think the engine is a peach - silky smooth with effortless torque in the midrange and very crisp response, not to mention the sound. Going back to my Ford Focus after driving it, I find I have my foot on the floor all the time wondering why it won't pick up - seems so flat in comparison.

I hope the engine in my new one is as good.

Has anyone experienced different levels of performance from the engines of different cars (ie. good ones - bad ones) or are they all the same.

Thanks.

Andy