View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 10:43 PM
shapeshifter309
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Spoiler Clunk Sound?

Originally Posted by Chris L.
You had your spoiler motor replaced a few years ago & you're only 20 .....?

Well, the sound seems to coincide with the flex & it just started yesterday.....definitely not normal...

I've greased everything I can see.....probably have to take it to a dealership....$$$$

No rush, I prefer the look with it in the up .

Any idea what the motor costs, or was that a warranty repair? Fred has a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty....but at almost 50K miles....nothing else.
About a year and a half or two years ago, yes. I got the car almost 3 years ago, for my 18th birthday. Almost 21 now. The spoiler really doesn't have anything to do with how old I am though. I had all sorts of problems trying to get that damned thing fixed, first they repaired a short, then they replaced the switch console, then finally after I told them for the 30th or so time that it was the motor, they replaced the motor and it was fixed. Haven't had a problem since.

As for the new motor and how the spoiler operates, mine is not as quiet as I would like, and I would say it would be normal from what I can see. Again, mine is a little jerky when deploying/retracting, but nothing I would say is out of the ordinary. I noticed the same rubber mounts you did and my guess is that it's supposed to flex at least a little bit. The torque the motor creates is decently powerful for the mechanism it operates.

As for the noise, I couldn't tell you since I haven't heard yours yet. Mine I would say is noisy, especially with the hatch panel off, but nothing out of the ordinary. I recently lubricated the gears on mine also because it was a little squeaky due to the summer heat.

If you want to try to upload your video again, make sure the audio feed from the original video is in a format that youtube supports.That's probably the most common problem when it comes to "no sound".

As for what 180 said, he's probably got the best advice. If the noise isn't normal, my guess would be that there's something slightly off or bent. The apparatus used to lift the spoiler is pretty tightly built, and I could see something being even slightly off causing some undesired effects.