View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 04:17 PM
cruzinquick
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Seeking purchase advice

Originally Posted by jayded6
Ok, I'm comparing a few SRT6s to add one to the garage. But I'm torn. There are some seemingly good deals on cars with 50k miles or so, and then several with low miles that are quite a bit more. So, here's a scenario. If you had to choose between two cars (both with ok colors), both seem to be in good condition with no problems, one has nearly 50k miles and could be had for around $14k, while another has in the vicinity of 10k miles but is around $19k, which is the better deal? Neither have included warranty. Both from dealers.

I'm afraid the 50k mile one will require costly maintenance, but that there is less risk in "resale value". But the one with less miles will be more troublefree but expensive.

Has anyone gone through a similar decision process lately? Any advice? How about extended warranties (chrysler ones)?

Thanks.

Jay
The warranty is what you need to research now. Unless it's a shady online company offering you the warranty, I don't think you will be able to find one to purchase for the 50k mile one. Check with your local credit union to see what is the oldest year and highest mileage they will sell and extended warranty for. The chrysler max warranty was offered if you still had existing factory warranty left. I doubt you will find an SRT6 that has factory warranty left. If you can buy that warranty figure at least 1k for the lowest amounts of coverage. This is a mercedes after all. The biggest issue you would have if the motor went out. The tranny can be rebuilt for 2k or less. Supercharger could be costly if you fried one, unless you find a used one. A/C, power steering, etc..are $300 or so and you replace them. The electronic modules could get pricey too. Depends also if you plan to do the repairs yourself. If your not, then definitely pay the extra and get one with a warranty. Another question is worst case scenario would you have an extra few grand to repair your car if it did break something major?