Old 12-22-2010, 09:31 AM
SRT6_Roadster
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Top end tappets knocking on start up? Help...

Originally Posted by waldig
Just me the old dude, but if it were me Id change the oil filter and see if there is a degraded o ring on the filter shaft.

You could be suffereing the oil drain down due to a bad o ring. If the torque converter drains down you rev till it fills and then you move.

Spin on oil filters have a back flow preventer that is intended to do this, and Id bet a diet coke ( coin of the realm ) that it is something like that.

In my big dodge I added (made) and accu,mulator to store oil to feed to the motor before I crank it to wet the bearings, float them.

Cheap to see, let me know back, W DY
Sorry to bring up this old thread but I wanted to thank Woody for the great info. The car has been ticking from the front of the passenger side cylinder bank at cold start up (e.g. after sitting for 9 hours). The ticking was fairly loud to begin with and would rise with revs but would quiet and go away as the engine warmed up. I should have looked into the issue awhile ago but did not. Finally searched the forum, saw Woody's posting on the O-rings and said WTF - let me try changing them. At cold start up the ticking is now much quieter and goes away after 7-10 seconds. Waldig I owe you a beer or a diet coke your choice.