View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 12:39 PM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: How can you lower wind resistance?

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
straight from the book my friend...explain the theory then....do the test, and explain...air passes under car faster than above it...creating a pulling down affect...I was talking air movement, but you are the engineer....and I know the guys here in INDY must not know what they are doing...when I am down at the shop, I will give them that information.... You are talking downforce, and I was talking air movement....the chassis engineers here are finding better ways to increase the speed of the air traveling below the car...and yes, you still have to have the downforce, which you were referring to. But, they feel by increasing the passing of the air under the car, keeping enough downforce to hold it stable, will increase speeds. So, they are looking for better ways to move the air...by streamlining the underneath, and you still need the wings for downforce. So, the experiment, is moving the air under the car faster, will actually pull the car down...as shown by the paper demonstration they showed me... as for pressures, yes, more on top, less on bottom...but their theory seems to be working, and you see an totally different body look with the new racecars...most normal highway cars creat lift, and without spoilers, wings, would have no downforce at high speeds...the topic here was to lower wind restistance...spoilers creat resistance...but moving air more efficiently means less resistance to the point where you were still stable and controllable. There are so many factors when talking cars...are you going straight all the time, or are you racing thru corners too...all would have factors you have to consider when talking downforce and pressure...but, I think these guys here in INDY are on to something...
My statement applied to regular cars and then I added that race car designers had worked to reverse the pressures.