View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Mike-in-Orange
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Gas Prices... Again

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Small cars don't carry large groups of people.
Small cars don't pull boats, campers, or a work trailer

In fact, small cars are only good for commuting one or two @sses to work daily, and for that they are fine.
But, if you need to do the other things, a bigger vehicle is a requirement and having the "Extra" or "small" one a "luxury."

A minivan or and SUV can carry 6 or 7 people at 15 MPG. Beats the efficiency of your roadster's 2 butts at 30 MPG by 43%

That's 105 butt miles per gallon to 60.
You know that math only works if you're actually filling the vehicles. But looking at all the folks commuting to work in the lanes next me, riding solo in those big SUVs, the math just doesn't favor them. 1 person in an 18mpg SUV is not even close to the efficiency of one person in a 30mpg small car.

And I'd take a 2012 Ford Focus over any SUV on the road today. That has nothing to do with any political ideology, environmental advocacy, or anything other than I simply have no need for an SUV, nor do I like them from a driving perspective at all. And I just prefer the overall driveability (ie, the "fun factor") of smaller cars. Lucky for me that my automotive preferences play well into high gas prices.

Now, if you need a large vehicle for work, or to tow a boat or camping trailer, then you need one. My next door neighbor owns a plumbing business and recently dumped his big van for a Ford Transit Connect. All the space he needed, but he now gets 27mpg instead of 15mpg, it's easier to park, fits in his garage, etc. But he still has a full size pickup to tow his 30' fishing boat.