View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 09:23 AM
XFireStarter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lower Door 6.5" Speaker Bracket

The current problem is that the new Rockford Fosgate speakers have trim that make them a little too big.
Photo - Rockford Fosgate® - P1653

I started prying the "FlexFit" trim off but the cone was coming with it. I'm thinking about just buying some spray foam sealant or some foam stripping.

Is there are reason not to use coax speakers in that location? The speakers are next to my legs so I figured the wide spectrum would better the chance of the frequencies cutting through (instead of simply being muffled). I already have subs for the big booms, so I just wanted tight bass response and clear highs.

Originally Posted by bigblock427
O.k. So what is the exact problem?
To get the original speaker out of the mounting bracket?
Or to get the new ones into the mounting bracket?

To get the original speaker out of the mounting bracket, put them in an oven for 10 minutes at about 70 degrees celsius (approx 160 degree fahrenheit). Than the silicon adhesive will be soft, and you can pry them easliy of the mounting bracket. Than you'll also see the noses, as soon as you have pryed the original speakers out of the mounting bracket.

The new ones seem to have a bigger diameter than the mounting diameter because of a plastic trim. I don't know these speakers. Is this plastic trim removable? Or is it fixed? If it's not fixed, remove it. If it's fixed you'll have to remove it, which will cause a warranty problem.

It also seems that you have bought coax speakers. I wouldn't recommend that in general for the speaker position.

Regards
Markus

Last edited by XFireStarter; 03-20-2011 at 09:48 AM.