View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 AM
jonnyb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +1 Blown Rear End - Now What?

Well, I was driving the SRT6 yesterday and as I was coming up my driveway my passenger said "do a little burnout". I have a long driveway and there's a hill near the end, so as I turned to go up the hill I punched it. The car instantly started to peel out and lay down rubber, and then I heard a loud metal clunk and the squealing of the tires stopped.

The car kept going so I didn't notice what had happened until we got to the top of the hill and I gave it a little gas to get to the end of the driveway. That's when I noticed the RPM's went up, but the car did not go any faster. I coasted to near my garage and put the car in park and it made a huge grinding noise(like it makes if try to put the car in park when your rolling). So I hopped out to take a look underneath the car and it started to roll back down the hill! I jumped back in and put the emergency brake on.

Then I put it in drive and peaked underneath and I could see the driveshaft spinning, so I'm pretty sure I've joined the blown differential club. I didn't have the time nor the courage to pull it apart and see the full extent of the damage, but I'm sure it's not pretty inside that diff case. At least I don't see any fluid leaking or any cracks/holes in the rear end.

So, my question is - what to do now?

I see that you can get the full diff assembly brand new through Chrysler for $3000. I'm not really up for spending 3 grand, so I'm hoping you guys can throw out some alternatives (is the wavetrac buy still open for anyone else to send a deposit to get in on it? or how about used - what's the best way to find one?).

Any advice (besides don't do one wheel burnouts...LOL) would be greatly appreciated.