Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Blaiseshimmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

And yet another owner with a key that simply would not turn - and NO decent mechanics/dealers/etc within several hours' drive to use.

We opted to not replace the entire key/tumbler thingy (hey, I can dig my way around a car; knowing the exact parts names are my husband's domain), and opted to use the 're-using the parts' option listed on The Sticky of All Stickies. Perhaps, though, things never go easy for me - I simply could not drill the pin while the entire thingy was still inside the dash. So taking into account a rather quick note that another poster had mentioned, I used my drill to create a 'canal' from where the pin was stuck to the 'open canal' area in the sleeve (darn - I know I should've taken pictures), in order to remove the unit from the steering column.

Hubby and I (mostly me, since this is my car) managed to free the unit, and I opted to pretty much disenbowel the unit (removing the 'hole-punch' pin and spring from the back, and then completely removing what was left of the pin I had been drilling for what seemed hours. Car works fine. Mine is a 6-spd, so I always use the parking brake and therefore really don't need to bother with a locking wheel.

It just took me more than the 4+/- hours that most of you take to fix this, and it's probably because I tend to work really slow so I don't drill holes in important things either in the dash or me.

Thanks again for this sticky - I love this forum!