View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 PM
arejohn
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: my final grille mod.

Originally Posted by larrsz
Well, this turned out to be harder than I thought. Even after several coats, that wheel paint was impossible to get even. In the sunshine, there were always areas that looked haevier than others (I am also not a paint can artist). So, I took the time to sand down the finish and recoat with Rustolem Aluminum Matte finish and that came out fine. I then used 3 coats of clear laquer (Rustoleum, if anyone cares) to gloss it up. I believe it came out fine this time. I will be reinstalling later today and will try to put up some pics.

I also found out that the reason my first trial had spits all over it was that my Auto Zone removes all of the caps from spray paint to keep people from trying them in the store. When you check out, they give you a cap. Unfortunatley, the one they gave me looks big enough for undercoating. When I changed it out and used a cap from paint I had on hand, it worked fine. They were no help when I asked for another can of paint to make up for the ruined job either. Just FYI.
Auto Zone rep failed his customer satisfaction responsibility. Send corporate a note. Bet they appreciate the input. In the mean time I will take AZ off my preferred vendor list-it mental but I have one- and put them on my AH-yes I have a mental one of those too.