Old 09-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Woodlands
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Caught in the Crossfire: Chrysler mulls future of slow-selling sports coupe

A couple of my thoughts on the Crossfire:

- If you sell the car as "American" you had better use a V-8 (or perhaps a supercharged V-6) as the power plant. I believe American iron is the key for an "American" car.

- If you are going to play the Daimler angle...then you need to stress that the car is essentially a MB with a Chrysler body. The bogey is/was the SLK 3.2... say it loud and say it clear. The car should be considered "German". I'll bet that purchasers of the Crossfire in Europe have a much better understanding of what the car is/isn't than those in the U.S. market.

- Due to the Euro-Dollar exchange, the car could probably be assembled in the U.S. at a cost that would allow a more "competitive" sticker price...if the objective is to increase volume sales. But...this car rolling out of a factory in Michigan wouldn't be the same in my estimation. There would be no exclusivity factor.

- I can't imagine that DM ever envisioned large volumes of the car would be sold. The car is a "halo" car. As such, it is more an design/engineering exercise than a run of the mill Dodge, Toyota or Acura. The car is targeted at creating excitement for the brand...which it has done. I believe the car has been under marketed, but then with limited advertising resources, I wouldn't concentrate on selling Crossfires, because the market will never be that large.

- DM is in a box regarding the perception of the car being built from left over MB parts. To move forward in subsequent years, the car will have to get an MB SLK upgrade to the existing platform/power plant.

As for me, I like the fact that a Crossfire is not on every street corner. It is a fine car at a great price. It is exclusive from the standpoint that every Dick and Jane doesn't own one. I like that fact. I want a car that is different. A car that people look at. Hey, if the car is dropped in the next couple of years, so be it.

There will always be a Crossfire cult that treasures the car and keeps it on the road. Why do I believe this...I own a '88 Cadillac Allante and it has a very similar history to the Crossfire. Hardcore Allante owners tend to be pretty rabid about their cars...just as Crossfire owners will be. The smaller the car community, the more exclusive in my mind. The more fun for the owners and supporters of unique cars.