Old 09-05-2011, 05:49 PM
James1549
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: 5th Annual Fall 2011 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Sept. 30, Oct 1 & 2

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
James,
I went back and added maps in my previous post.....
Ok Gary, thanks. It was just as I expected. Here is what I would like to do if anyone would like to follow.

We will head to Franklin with the group for lunch at the BBQ place. Leave Franklin via Wayah Rd as mapped.
Once in Robinsville we will drive all of the Cherohala Skyway and view Bald River Falls, turn around and come back through the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, and then back on track to 129/Deals Gap.

When we get to Deals Gap (129 & 28) we will stop for a break. At that point, anyone that wants to run the Dragon can do it westbound, turn around at the other end, and then back east and back to the lodge. If you prefer not to do the Dragon, you can head straight back to the lodge from Deal's Gap. We can break up into two groups at that point since getting back to the lodge is fairly easy.

If I lead a group, it will be slow and easy, sight seeing (due to my co-pilot).

According to my map program, this is 5½ hrs driving time. We can make provisions to shorten this trip if enough interest.
To shorten this trip, we can run the Cherohala up to the entrance to Joyce Kilmer Forest, and loop back to 129, eliminating the Bald River Falls.

Let me know. James

Attached Thumbnails 5th Annual Fall 2011 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Sept. 30, Oct 1 & 2-saturday.jpg  

Last edited by James1549; 09-05-2011 at 07:14 PM.