Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 PM
onehundred80
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: Intake tube, 3", A-112-094-34-82... Screens?

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Never quite satisfied with the fit and finish of the TVT intake tubes, I ordered the OE part for the E-320. I ordered two RH tubes per Dave's thread, as he said this was the best fit when used with 1" PVC spacers.

When I received the tubes, I noticed a screen material at either end of the flex tubing. Anyone care to take a guess as to what the purpose is?

The SLK320 tubes and numerous other Mercedes models have no screens, so this isn't a water evacuation function.

All I can see it doing is allowing engine heat into the tube when the car is not in motion.

I wondered about these, and I thought that they might have something to do with calming the flow of air over the corrugations in the flexible area. A wild guess thats all. They must do something as they would be cheaper to make with out them.

John, when using the shorter air tubes you may need the extensions I show in my post just to get the tube into the hole in the rad support a bit more. The driver side inlet needs to be modified carefully to enter the rad support.