Old 11-27-2011, 07:25 PM
onehundred80
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: SRT-6 Liftgate Leak On Spoiler Mounting Plate

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Ah gee Dave now you've gone and done it! I gotta take my wing off!!!!!!!...............does it ever end?????
Sorry, you may be lucky and have no leak. Mine has a small leak, just a few drops in the trunk but as you can see a lot of water has been through those seals over time and taken the dust with it. I think a little rain drains out the bottom gaps.

Jake80 said he had no problem and I believe him. I think that the freezing rain we got the first night I was home sealed the bottom gaps and as it thawed the water had nowhere to go but inside the trunk. This makes sense to me as there was no indication water had ever been in the trunk before, no water spots visible at all and the things in the trunk coming home never got wet even though we were in some heavy showers. I'm sure water went past the seals during this time but drained out the poor seals at the bottom.

I can see that if there was poor sealing at the top and good sealing at the bottom the water would back up into the trunk.

My thoughts are to put seals all around on the bottom and have other seals at the top and bottom that will prevent water getting to the these seals along the top and bottom edges.

I am going to add a photo of the seals applied to the bottom face in the first post. The other seals will be stuck to the hatch itself at least at the top as the glass overlaps the recess for the spoiler mounting panel by about 3/32".

The big test will be done with a hose and then a good inspection.

This is a work in progress.