Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM
sk8erjosh09
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Megan Racing Muffler/Plasti-Dip update/CF trim video

Originally Posted by tcconnally
Looks and sounds great man!! I've always liked the white/black rims storm trooper look and you took it to the next level. I have a 06 Black base coupe I'm going the blackout route on so I think I'll try to plasti-dip the emblems and grille like you did. I read your steps on the Plasti-Dip thread but I was curious for the grille/front emblem. Did you tape that off too or just spray and pray? I blacked out my tails with VHT spray and they look good so I think I could handle it but those were off the car and I'm a little concerned with spraying stuff while it's still on. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Again, it looks outstanding!!
Thanks!! I took the grill off for the Plasti-Dip because its hard to wipe the overspray off between the fins. For the emblems just spray 2 coats, take a rag and wipe off the overspray (easiest when dry) (REMEMBER: LEAVE THE SOLID OVERSPRAY WIPE THE DOTS) and gently peel off the solid excess like a sticker. Take a toothpick to lift up and peel. The middle design of the emblem is the same, take a toothpick in the center, pick, lift up, and peel off. No cutting, taping, or removing. Alot of people are taping off the area on youtube videos Ive seen... This is pointless. The time it takes to mask an area off is the time it takes to wipe the overspray off. Dont wipe the emblem you spray for a while. It takes 24 hours before its bonded completely to the surface and smooth. If at all you mess up... Just take a toothpick, pick, lift, and peel off to start over. Same as any job, take your time and it will come out good. I was running out when I got to the back rims and now they are spotting. In a few weeks or so Im going to buy one more can for touching up the rims and door handles, when I do I will post a how-to on Plasti-Dip.

It is extremely easy and cheap to do this. Just take your time with coats/between coats. And remember it isnt permanent like paint unless you want it to be. Meaning, if you dont like it, peel it off, otherwise it will withstand anything you throw at it.

I do have a question for you though... What is VHT spray and have you been hassled by cops for having it on your tail lights? This is the next step for me. Blacked out tail lights/head lights/fog lights.