Thread: Highs and Fogs?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 10:43 AM
ala_xfire
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Highs and Fogs?

Originally Posted by FriendlyFire
OK, first off, I actually did do quite a bit of searching through the forum, and found lots of info referring to this, but no actual instructions on how to do it. (at least as a stand alone mod)
Also, I DO realize it is technically illegal, but don't frankly care.

I just want my fogs to stay on when I engage my high beams.
I still want to use the headlight switch to turn them on/off as stock. (as opposed to wiring the fogs into a separate dedicated switch)
Is there a simple way to bypass the fog light cancellation when the highs are on?
Preferably without disassembling the column or dash?
No guarantees, but in this case, there are 2 possible solutions that come to mind :
1. use a SPDT relay energized by the hi-beam circuit to supply 12v to the fogs from the NO contact, when not energized, the NC contact wired to the standard fog 12v connects to the fog common.
( SPDT = Single Pole, Double Throw , NC = Normally Closed, NO = Normally Open )
WIRING :
relay common to fog lights 12v
relay NO to fused battery 12v
relay NC to fog supply 12v
relay energize to high-beam 12v
relay ground to ground

MAKE SURE THE RELAY CAN HANDLE THE VOLTAGE AND THE AMPERAGE AND USE WIRE AT LEAST THE SAME GAUGE OR BIGGER !!!

2. Use a honkin big diode on to do the same thing, however the 12v to the fogs would be pulled from the hi-beam 12v, probably too much for the fuse.

So, in summary, I'd go with the relay. ( might be a slight flicker as the 12v is removed from the fogs when switching to high before the relay closes. )