View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Goldwing
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Battery holder corrosion

Since I bought the SRT6 I've been battling corrosion on the battery holder and the metal strap that goes over the top. The battery is an Exide 48-60 which I believe is after-market. I plugged both the overflow pipes on the top of the battery, figuring it was leaking fluid from one of them, but it continues. I remove, scrape, paint and re-install the battery tray at least twice annually and the problem re-occurs. The acid crap (white, crumbly stuff) even got under the battery holder and rotted that vacuum line that goes "who knows where". When I put the car in storage in November it was relatively clean and I ran a battery tender all winter. Just pulled it out today and had to pull the battery, clean and paint again. If I had been running it I would expect a bad alternator that was over charging the battery, but it was not run all winter. I'm wondering if it is a bad or incorrect battery. PS - I stored my roadster the exact same way, with the original battery, and it is perfectly dry with zero corrosion. Anyone have suggestions??