View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 PM
turbomar
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Drive Clean Testing

Did you guys ever noticed that the test results are often not even close to the set allowed limits? In almost every case, it is because the test itself is often not performed properly. Running an engine at idle will not simulate a car at a red light, in Drive. Reving the engine in neutral or in gear will not simulate the conditions of a car accelerating, cruising and coasting accurately. The most accurate way to perform an Etest is by using a Threadmill.

I know, in my area anyways, I have not seen an Etest facility equipped with a threadmill. Is a threadmill a common sight in Southern Ontario? I have 2 vehicles so, every year or so, I witness the Etest technician reving and idling and taking samples that he thinks look good. Some places are only concerned with pumping cars thru to collect their fee and there's no faster way to do this then with a "Pass", right?

One thing is sure, if the Etests were done using the required tools and techniques, a lot more cars and trucks would fail, requiring emisions repairs.

Cheers to all SOCO members!

Last edited by turbomar; 03-15-2012 at 08:16 PM.