View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 AM
sk8erjosh09
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Plasti-Dip Project Finished w/Pics

Originally Posted by dinasrt
An F.Y.I. In checking their website out; and for those that want ultimate adhesion to metal, I see that they recommend and sell the F-938 H.P. Primer that is "specifically developed to increase the adhesion of plasti-dip". For surface preparation, in addition to clean & free of oil,rust,etc., they state "A sandblasted or roughened surface allows for best adhesion." It obviously will work without this extreme; just passing this info. on.
Any paint will stick better with a rough surface. The difference is this stuff doesnt fully bond when it dries. . . . (like paint). It bonds a couple weeks after. The first 2 weeks are critical. If you run your finger along a section it will pull the rubber and want to peel because its so thin. With a rough surface it may only take 1 week to fully bond. But after a couple weeks it feels smooth like normal nothing special flat paint. The difference is in the prep. If you want a good looking part then mask sand and paint it. If you want something that will give you a base for your goal. . . . . then this is where you want to be.

Time=Money... sanding takes time, primer takes time. . . they also sell all of the supplies for both, and more, on their website for. . . money. So if you want to waste extra money for no benefit then go ahead, but Ill stick to the simple cost effective method, the outcome is the same.

One last thing, I could peel all of it off and it will be no different then right before I put it on because I didnt rough up the surface.