View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 PM
onehundred80
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Another trans dip stick

This fits on the end of this thread just as well as starting a new thread.

I finally checked my fluid and had no oil on the dip stick, I checked when cold and when hot, nothing, nil, zero, zilch. No trouble with gear changes, no oil drips.

Not finding any approved fluid I used Dexron III as allowed in the Repair Manual.

I added 200cc's (6.7 fl.oz.) and when cold it was about 3/4" up my stick and it was on the high limit at the 80°C (176°F) marking on Sparkie's dip stick after a 1 1/2 hour highway run. I think I am a bit too high though.

I think at this level the fluid level is being measured inside the filler tube and that's why the level rises so quickly. With the level rising this quickly it would be very easy to overfill and removing it would take much longer than adding it, so watch out.

I did not have a good dipstick to test with at home when filling, I used a white plastic coated wire to start and it smeared so much pulling it out I could not see what level the oil was. I then used the smallest top sider tube I had, the outside would smear but the true level would be untouched inside.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-07-2012 at 08:44 PM.