Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 PM
GraphiteGhost
Received 399 Likes on 342 Posts
Default Re: Water in trunk well... from condensation?

Originally Posted by NoRestForWicked
Hey guys, I've come across a bit of a mystery... You know how when you lift up the trunk mat, there is the spare kit, the gas tank, and the little well where the fuses normally lay (I attached a picture... the gas can does occasionally have that much condensation on top, but not usually, and the problem is still present with or without that gas can condensation). That well on the right side has been filling up with water, but only maybe about half an inch or an inch, nothing ridiculous / flooding-esque. The thing is, there's no water above the trunk mat and no leaks whatsoever (I've done a basic water test and placed tissue paper all over the trunk to determine if there was a leak, but all the tissue paper was perfectly dry and yet the well still filled with some water). To me, this means it's coming through the styrofoam from either the side or underneath the car. My current theory is that there might be condensation that's leaking through the styrofoam? Or, there might be water pooled up either underneath the styrofoam or underneath the car? The strangest part about this is that the water only appears when the car is driven... I can dry the compartment out, drive it 2 miles, and it's filled again, but if the car just sits there, it stays empty as far as I can tell. So, I had a few questions...

A) Has anyone seen or heard of this issue before or any ideas what it might be?
B) Any ideas on how to fix it?
C) The outside / top of my gas tank seems to be lined / wrapped in some sort of plastic, possibly mylar... are your tanks like this as well or was it something a previous owner might have done? Could that be causing it?

I also have a SRT-6 if that makes any difference. The issue doesn't seem to be major by any means, it's more a curiosity that I'd like to fix. Thanks for the help, I've been trying to solve this for a couple of weeks now haha.

You must dry that all out fast before it geys VERY expensive, like 180 says. If it gets into the central locking module, or any of the other electronics back there, your car will go bonkers and the cost to repair will skyrocket. To get the styrofoam out you have to remove the two upper side rear panels left and right of the liftgate, that will allow you to remove the center rear lower panel at the latch, then you take out the left and right lower trunk panels so you can lift out the styrofoam blocks in the bottom. The right side void holds the central locking module and at least one other electronic box that if it gets wet and corroded your in for a big headache. 180 has the fix with great pictured, for the leaking spoiler area, I have read it and if I had a srt, I would have done it. Good luck!