View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 06:22 AM
bobs
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 8.5 Quarts and reading is "HI"

Originally Posted by jpristel
I just changed my oil for the first time. In my manual it said to put 6.1 quarts of oil in the car.
(I'm aware that it is a misprint. However...)
I added a little more than 6 quarts and it read low. I added the remaining 7th quart and my gauge read "-1.5Q" so I added exactly another quart and a half. Now the darn gauge reads "HI". Should I suck out half a quart?
Have you run the engine yet? If you're sure you've put in the exact amount of oil that might explain it because you'll need about 1/2 quart to fill the air space in the oil filter. If you haven't run the engine then that half quart will be sitting in the oil pan instead of in the filter.

If you *have* run the engine then suck out a little bit (maybe a quarter quart) at a time and check the level. Make sure you verify with the dipstick too, just in case your oil level sensor has gone wonky.

...And whatever you do, don't drive the car if it's overfilled! The rotating pieces inside the engine will make contact with the top of the oil pool in the pan and whip it up into a foam, which of course, doesn't lubricate things very well.