View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Billy22Bob
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Killer Chiller - intercooling option

Originally Posted by waldig
You can not measure the temps with the cold air blowing into the end of the gun, you have - should - sense or measure off axis to keep the air out of the business end of the "gun".
My vents are 40-55 on a cool day, never below 32 degrees or else it will freeze the condensate and FREEZE OVER, a bad thing.
Good point!

Your home has a 2 to 5 ton A/C system, which means that it removes 2 x 12,000 to 5 x 12,000 btus per hour.
In SI units for us malaligned ludites.....7-17kWhr

Our cars have a cooling capacity of about 1 ton or 12,000 btus per hour ......
.....3.5kW - I'm suprised so low....but your call. I understood AC to consume between 5-10hp off the crank - with a COP of at least 2.5 to 3....that to me would mean 15-30ho of cooling capacity....or 12-23kW.....???? maybe my premise of 5-10 is wrong.

which is about 200 btus of cooliing per hour. 200 btus per minute will cool 200 pounds of water ONE degree per minute. 200 pounds of water is about 25 gallons. If your cooling 2 gallons, that could be 2 x 8pounds per gallon or 16 pounds of water. With a capacity of 200 btus per minute that would be able to cool the 16 pounds about 12 degrees - per minute.
.....3.5kW - is the equivalent of 7.3L cooled 12degF in 58 seconds

SOOOO that would cool a couple of gallons of water 12 per minute max, and that is not counting that the water is also being heated by the I/C. I posted this idea LONG TIME ago, and then countered my thinking after I did my math.
Being heated by the IC - are you refering here to the charge air cooler?

.....I dont disagree, but I'd like to rerun one of your youtube videos and do a time stamp on it ...
I recall you lost 17degF in something less than 30 seconds? That would equate to 9.6kW from the IC. Add an extra 3.5kW of KC and you could pull them down another 6F per 30 seconds - or 23F instead of 17F .....Having said all that....probably not much better than an LET or an increase in IC capcity (via eff. and area) of 30% - doable.

Of course the last thing you can expect is for the A/C to run at WOT, it is cut out. There is a reason, for the engine at 6000RPM is whirling the compressor way faster. IT will blow up big time. I was feeling giddy and shifted to third one day long time ago in my pinto at about 7000-7500 with the A/C on and the cloud of Freon was way visible in a hurry as the rods in the A/C left the case. I used to buzz that modified pinto up to close to 9000 in autocrossing, to keep the 4.11 : 1 going on the straights. Wide open throttle is bad for A/C compressors, boom.
.....good point - what speed does it cut out at?
Of course you'd still have AC on the coast back to the restart.....

This is as viable as the "electric supercharger". The both work, they just done work well enough to be worth the cost of admission. Enjoy.

Woody