View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Rear Sway bar brackets cracking

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
I think it is going to take a lot more as far as bracing is concerned for the sway bar mount. I had mine up in the air this weekend and looked closely, no cracks yet. It does seem that there would be just enough room to slide a cross brace through the underside of sway bar mounting bracket all the way through to the other side mount to lock them both in. I think a 3/16" thick X 1 1/2" wide metal strap from side to side and then welded to the either the existing sway bar mount or new ones. This should tie the brackets together better. I think the big problem is not the vertical forces but the horizontal forces from side to side. I first saw this in Airescapes post with an i-phone tapped under the fender while driving. The sway bar moved side to side like crazy from what I had expected. This sounds like a job that MikeR could help out with once again. Where is Mike?
The twisting of the sway bar gives up and down forces even on the bracket at the wheel that does not go up or down, simple mechanics. The sway bar is trying to keep its unloaded shape at all times. The larger the sway bar diameter the greater the forces at all times. NA's should last longer all things being equal, as I doubt the brackets were reinforced more on the SRT's but I could be wrong on that.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-18-2012 at 09:05 PM.