View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 AM
RED DOG
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: Horn stop working.

I decided to resurect this old thread rather than start a new one . . .

In my quest for louder horns, I bought a pair of these Stebel Compact Nautilus Twin Air Horns

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331437931927?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I expected them to be "plug and play" but, of course nothing turns out to be that easy. I hooked them up to the OEM horn wires and gave them a try. They sounded GREAT . . . one time and wouldn't work again. Doing my due diligence searching the form, I discovered that there are two fuses for the horn circuit . . . fuse #9 (10amp) in the driver's side primary fuse box easily found referenced in the owner's manual (that fuse was good) and another secret mystery fuse #6 (15amp) in the fuse box over by the battery (the forum helped me find this one). I replaced that blown 15amp fuse, hooked up the stock OEM horns and they work fine so everything is back to normal for the moment.

Looking at the Stebel air horn specs, they are rated at 12V 18amp. Obviously they draw more power than the OEM horns and that's why they blew the 15amp fuse in the horn circuit. I'm tempted to replace that 15amp fuse with a 20amp fuse but even I know that is not a recommended procedure . . .

Two questions . . . and in the spirit of full disclosure I graduated with honors but I did fail electricity in high school.

1) If the Stebel horn is rated as 12V 18amp and I have two of them hooked up in parallel (think that's right . . . whatever the stock OEM dual horn wiring is . . . parallel or series), do they actually draw up to 36amps or do they still draw only 18amps?

2) Any expert thoughts about whether I should try just replacing the (blowing) 15amp fuse with a 20amp fuse. My thinking is that the horns are only used for relatively short bursts so it's not like that circuit would be drawing more than 15 amps for any extended period of time.

3) Any other suggestions as to how to wire up the higher amp Stebel horns in a safe manner?

Thanks for sharing your expertise and experience.

Last edited by RED DOG; 05-22-2015 at 06:55 AM.