Old 03-02-2006, 12:49 PM
ben47
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Standard's deployable wing vs. SRT's fixed wing

Originally Posted by pelked1
Finally, did the Crossfire engineers actually think about these things when both wings were being designed? I'm sure it came into play. My guess is that they probably agreed that both designs created enough net down force to ensure stability at any speed. They probably agreed that deployable wing was much more interesting and deserved to be on the model that was first put into production to help capture as much interest as possible.

Judging from Crossfire sales numbers, the deployable rear wing hasn't sent people flocking to buy the Crossfire. IMO, the deployable should have been the SRT's wing, and the fixed the standard.

Just a fun little opinionated FYI...
I think you hit the nail on the head. Either wing would work just as well on either model. After all, top speed is the same... the SRT only gets you there faster.

I don't think a having a deployable or fixed spoiler in itself would be a big drawing card to induce sales of any vehicle. I think it would be a buyers personal taste on which one they liked.

I much prefer the original coupe over the fixed wing on the SRT or the roadster's profile, which for me neither flow with the car's original styling cues. To me the wing looks like an oversized add-on, and if I remember correctly, (something I have a hard time doing lately) when the SRT was first introduced, a large percentage of owners did not care for the fixed wings either. There are a few threads on the topic of both the SRT wing and roadster design if someone wants to do more reading on either topic... just use the search button.

But as I said above, I agree either wing would work just as well on both models.

Last edited by ben47; 03-02-2006 at 01:26 PM.