Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 PM
latemodel21
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Paddle shifter install instructions completed

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I'm thinking of clamping the tube securely in a form so that the inner ends of the stalks see no load due to rocking. Just hold the part with the form in it steady and heat and bend.

Last thing I want is to ruin the Multifunction Switch and/or Cruise Switch at who knows what horrendous cost to replace.

Is it agreed that these are plastic coated aluminum?
Relative to your plan to create a "form" (fixture) of sorts to keep the lever(s) from transferring force to the hidden associated components (attached to the levers yet inside the column) while you bend them ... I say you can never be TOO careful. So, while my experience doesn't lead me to believe the added precaution is required ... better safe than sorry : )

relative to your question of the construction of the levers .... I do know (with no small amount of certainty) that the VCS lever on the R170 SLK (not included on the crossfire I believe), which looks similar (and BENDS similarly) IS plastic coated aluminum. I do wish that someone who knows for sure what the turn signal and cruise levers are made of (who perhaps has a bent one from a wrecked car?) would share here. My Guess (having bent them all) is that they ALL are plastic coated aluminum.

Cheers,
Chris