Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM
crosscats
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rusty wheel arches - repair or time for new car?

Originally Posted by tiochta
My 2003 Crossfire coupe is starting to rust badly around both rear wheel arches. Should I send money getting it repaired or is it already too late to cure? Should i just upgrade?
Thinking of either 2007 Crossfire Srt-6 Convertible or a 2008 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.2V6. Alfa better looking but the crossfire is faster. Both have £500 a year road tax & poor mpg. As it rains half the year in the UK & petrol prices going through the roof should I give up and get a Toyota Prius and save myself a fortune?
What is its mileage and general condition?
Very few Crossfires have bad rust (yet - even the early ones) - so unless you're really unlucky, it's not likely to have rotted through, so should be an easy fix. Plus, even in excellent condition they're only worth a few grand; so with tatty arches, you'd have to sell it cheap and it won't put much in your pocket towards a replacement.
If the car is otherwise good with plenty of life left in it, remember why you originally bought it, get it tidied up - and enjoy it!
Virtually all RHD UK SRT6s are 2006 - there were only about 115 of them (prob. about 45 convertibles) - and are a bit thirstier than the standard cars, esp. when you boot it, so if it's not your daily driver, forget your fuel worries - I know I have!