Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 AM
lildaddym
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why doesn't the front edge of the top stay up??

OK, here is the answer: There are a couple of bow tension cords on either side that have a spring on one end with rubber and a brass center, and a plastic 'T' on the other. You will need something to replace the rivets with. I had some spare (what looked to be) 1/4" nuts and bolts. Could NOT use them to replace the rivet at the very front. A sheet metal screw of the right size, possibly flat-head, will do the job. Allow a couple of hours to get it done, you'll need the patience.

Remember that when you partially open the top, you have to remember to power up the car every 10 minutes or less, so the pump will keep the top in the same position. Otherwise, the top will have to go all the way down to reset.

Now, raise the top so you can get to the 10 or so Torx bolts that hold the front edge of the top and a pair of seals on. Remove the seals as well on both sides, because you will need to get to a rivet, and remove it.

Working from front to back, remove the rivet underneath the seal, then the one that holds a short strap, about mid-way on the frame, then remove the last one that guides the bow tension cord. The way that item is put together, you can't get the "T" end through without taking it apart.

Take the front of the canvas off and fold it back so you can get to everything.

Lift the wide strip of nylon at the front of the frame, and find the Torx bolt that holds the bow tension cord, then, trace to the back and remove the "T." This part is tricky, because if you have bigger hands, you may not be able to do it. The cord has to be slack enough so that the "T" can be rotated towards the front of the car, then removed by sliding towards the car's centerline. Replacement is reverse of removal.

Once both bow tension cords are attached, replace the items that were riveted, The rear loop item has to be pointed to the outside of the car. When I reinstalled the second item, the strip, I put some Locktite on the threads, but didn't tighten up too much, to give it some space to spin.

When reassembling the front of the top, do one side at a time, starting with the seal. It fits on the end of the frame, then fits onto the top frame. You may have to straighten out your seals, and narrow that gap so they fit snugly. Install one of the bolts, the one closest to you work. You will have to make sure that the plastic edge of the canvas fits UNDER the frame, and you will have to pull down on the frame at the same time you install the first bolt. Pay attention, because it's easy to cross-thread those.

Do the other side, installing the bolt closest to your work, after you've gotten the frame in the seal and the seal properly on the top frame. A urethane or rubber mallet will come in handy for getting the seals on.

Think that's it...let me know if I can answer any questions or if I missed something...

Last edited by lildaddym; 07-14-2013 at 01:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CROSSFIRERUSH (06-16-2021)