Thread: oil leak
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 PM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: oil leak

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Roger that. ( only good part is the aluminum bolts are easy to drill out )
Mine are now SS.
Stainless steel and aluminum/magnesium are at different ends of the galvanic corrosion chart and there will be greater chances of corrosion on the aluminum/magnesium when in contact with a salty solution. This could be sea air or snow salt spray. It is not a maybe it is a fact. Chrysler did not put aluminum screws in for no good reason.

The shields behind the front wheel rotors on my Chrysler 300 are aluminum, both have been replaced as the steel screws and the salt spray from the roads ate through the aluminum in perfect circles around the screw heads, leaving little aluminum washers under the screw heads. I admit this area is an extreme environment, other areas would just take longer to get the same damage.

Needswings mentioned corrosion on the valve covers at one time, if it was by the screws then this may be the reason. If proper plated screws are used then the corrosion is prevented. Replace with the wrong screws and use in a salty environment and you can expect trouble to some extent. Even plain water is a good electrolyte, just not as good as a salty one.