Old 12-19-2013, 05:17 PM
KJKnowles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found an easy fit amplifier replacement for stock Infinity model

I finally decided to upgrade my SRT6 Roadster system after all this time. I did not want to go to great pains to find a home for an amplifier when space comes so dear on these cars, so I looked for one that would meet my requirements and still fit in the factory location. I thought I would show what I ended up with here, in case anyone is looking for the same.

The Soundstream Picasso Nano PN4.520D seemed to fit the bill. It is a four channel model, rated at 100 Watts RMS per channel into a 4 Ohm load, or 130 per channel into a 2 Ohm load. They are available for around $100 online.

PN4.520D - Picasso Nano - Amplifiers - Car Audio

I think it was a good choice. The fit is completely without fault...even down to using the factory retention screws on the upper two mounting holes. (I did have to drill new holes in the amp plate for the other two.) The first photo shows the factory setup and the second shows the Soundstream mounted, but not yet wired.

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

I spliced into the factory wiring harness to drive the loudspeakers, but will likely run new larger gauge wires to the new subwoofer drivers (Earthquake SWS-6.5's) when they arrive. I wanted to use some amazing, but no longer available, 7" Adire Extremis drivers that I have on hand, but they would require more hacking of the factory bracket than I am prepared to do, so I'm taking the easy way out.

I'm also waiting on the door speakers to arrive...they will be an Infinity Reference 6500CX component set. All together, it should be a reasonably well matched modest system. The improvement from the amplifier alone (being driven by a Kenwood KIV-701) is impressive even with the weak factory loudspeakers...especially considering only one of the two voice coils on each factory sub driver is connected.

The Infinity system is on a FedEX truck for delivery today and the Earthquake sub drivers should be here early next week. I'm looking forward to getting it all together!