View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 AM
velociabstract
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Time slips / story / thoughts

Hey all, I'm just back from a wild night at the track or shall I be truthful, skating rink. First the slips. The weather was as good as it gets for P.R., 77º with a light head wind. All my runs were 12.0x @ 117.xx except the first that was 12.1 at 116.93 and another with a 12.0x @ 115.xx. I should be bracket racing! My first run had me real excited, hot off the street, easy off the line with a little slippage. Come around to run again. Then somebody broke and oiled the track. So back to the pits to cool off. Another few broken cars, axels, etc. and back to the line. Do a nice burn out, leave a bit harder and the car sticks. Hot lap, do a nice burn out (4 sec.) and try to leave even harder and the car sticks good. Then more broken cars. Back to the pits for a final cool off. First run after the cool of I tried to leave hard and lost traction. My best chance for another 11 was lost. That run had the highest 1/8 mile speed and 1/4 mile speed as well. But the worst 60'. I beat a C63 AMG on one of the runs. He was running mostly 12.3's but on our race he got greedy and spun the tires. I had a good race with a white GTR. We left about the same time and I was leading until the 2/3 shift. During my painfully slow shift he pulled ahead about 5 cars. Only in the time my car was picking it's nose shifting, 5 car lengths. The 3/4 shift is painfully slow too but for some reason the 1/2 is pretty snappy. He ran an 11.3. All my 60' times were slowish. I set the tire pressures cold and didn't touch them again. The track was super slick around the 1/8 marker. Lots of higher powered cars were loosing it there. Luckily, no serious crashes resulted. A really painful one however. A SLS gull wing got into the wall after I left. I'm wondering if it was around the 1/8th.
Things to improve. 1) Keep checking the tire pressures through the night. 2) Find a solution to the sloppy shifts. 3) Don't run with a full tank of gas. 4) Get a fan to cool the car between runs.

Les

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dic. 22 slips.jpg (114.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by velociabstract; 12-22-2013 at 09:59 AM.