Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 AM
onehundred80
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts
Default Re: Alabaster with Cedar and stick with 53,000 miles for $6200 Cert & Etest

Originally Posted by Big Daddy
-State tax requires they get paid so you have NO CHOICE but to pay at the Dept of Motorized Vehicles at the time of getting the title.
-As far as you mentioning getting "tags" you don't get any! you must get "temporary license pates" to be able to drive the car home (get these at the DMV at the same time of registering the car/title and paying state taxes
-As for the border, at the time you arrive at the US border they will be checking the cars VIN, why they did not on your car is strange as this is the last chance they have to verify the car matches what you are ACTUALLY exporting. So if you are buying a US car NOW, this is the process today.
I never paid any Florida tax. I paid for the car at the guys bank. I drove home with his plates, title and a notarized bill of sale - HSMV 82050 (Rev. 06/11) S. Showed the US border people the bill of sale and the title, they really never bothered with the BoS, one guy said it was just 'fluff'. They ran the VIN on the title through a computer check and looked at the copy of my email to the Buffalo Vinny office. They did an X ray on the car as it sat outside from a van they parked beside it. They did not look at the VIN on the car either as the car was locked outside and nobody went out anyway, it was a bloody cold and windy November day.
Paid GST at the Canadian border after filling out the Federal vehicle import form.
At home I got a temporary tag and plate at the DoT, got an emissions test and roadworthy test. Got the sticker for my plates and paid PST. Sent in the RIV papers and got a RIV sticky back for the car.
Maybe they tightened the process up, I sent a copy of the title to the US border 3 days before crossing back over.
I'm thinking that dealers have to pay sales tax, but they can avoid that for out of state sales if they deliver the car one inch outside Florida. They get a kid to drive it to the state line. The same applies to private sales, the car is delivered out of state - no tax.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-28-2014 at 02:17 PM.